Thursday, January 2, 2014

Introduction

For my entire life, I’ve been interested in movies. I’ve been able to see all kinds of movies; color to black & white, blockbusters to independent films, actions to comedies, crowd pleasers to Oscar winners, etc, etc, etc. On Netflix, I’ve rated over 2000 titles. Of the American Film Institute’s Top 100 Film Lists, I’ve seen over 95% of the listed movies (I am not a fan of John Wayne movies making the lists a little difficult to finish). There is one other category of movies that I have seen a lot of: foreign movies. I’ve seen a lot of foreign films, especially compared to the average cinephile (over 150 and counting, yes I’ve been keeping track, and no, I did not include the British James Bond films in this count). Yes, I understand, you don’t want to read a movie but watch it. My goal is to talk to you about a different movie from as many countries as possible, encourage you to watch it, and to share some insight behind the film, whether it is about the story, the film's historical significance, or about the nation that the film comes from.

By the end of this blog, I hope to talk about at least one movie per country, giving you insight to at least 200 movies. Of course, there are some countries so new like South Sudan that have a budding film industry, or countries like Wales where their films might clumped together with British films, but I will try my best. On occasion, some countries will have repeats (I love French comedies and European films about WWII) or I might talk about an international film festival. There are many movies made by more than one country, so those will pop up a lot too. And every now and then, I might talk about an American film that has international relevance or tells a story in a unique way. 

Worst case scenario, you’ll actually start watching foreign films with subtitles. And like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment